Saturday, November 14, 2015

Be the Light

Yesterday tragedy reared it's ugly head:  We live in uncertain times. My heart aches.

And aches.

It aches for the city. It aches for the victims. It aches for the families. It aches for my children who have no choice but to grow up in these uncertain time.

I don't know how to solve these huge problems. I don't know how to negate this terrible thing that is terrorism, this huge growth of global hate. I fear for my children.

I fear for their children. 

Here is what I do know. I do know my children are the future. How they navigate this world will decide what the world becomes. I cannot solve this global crisis. 

But here is what I can do.

I can teach my children love. The real unconditional truth of love. Loving your neighbors, loving your friends, loving your enemy. Loving the strange kid in their class that talks funny, loving the little girl down the street that looks funny. I can teach my children that although there is hate in this world, nothing is bigger than love.

I can teach my children kindness. I can show them what it means to give the most life changing gift there is: compassion.  I can show them that sometimes the smallest acts can make the biggest impact in other's lives.

I can teach my children about diversity. The beautiful thing it is, and how to celebrate our differences. I can teach my children about this world, about how the differences in race, culture, and religion do not divide us. We choose that division out of ignorance. 

I can teach my children empathy. This world is lacking in this. Let's raise a generation who pauses and walks a day in someone else's shoes before they judge. Let's raise children who will be unable to walk passed the homeless without pausing, who will be unable to watch a stranger in distress without reaching out. Let's teach our children to use their hearts to reach others.

I can teach my children their most valuable asset is their minds and not their fists. I can raise children who's greatest weapon and asset is not their physical strength, but their strength of character.

Will this stop all of the hate and fear of this world? Will this end the needless violence, the overwhelming bigotry prevelent? It won't erase it. I will not pretend to believe that.Where there is light there is darkness. 

But we can teach our children to shine brighter.

Love and light from another momma in the struggle ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment