Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Days Like These

Momma said there'd be days like these.

Momma said there'd be days like these.  Long days, hard days, days full of tears, and doubt, tantrums, and never ending trouble. Days where frustration and exhaustion rule. Days where you just try to survive. Days where you question your own ability to really "do this",  where you're sure you've screwed it up.  Permanently.

Momma said there'd be days like these.  Sweet days, slow days. Days full of snuggles, laughter, kisses, and tickle fights. Days where there's nothing sweeter than the smell of that happy baby in the nape of your neck. Days where you get to watch the magic of childhood unfold. Days that end with dirty, happy, children. Whose streaked faces tell the story of their adventures. We won't always be pirates searching for treasure, explorers conquering mountains, princesses attending balls. There won't always be days like this.

Motherhood has brought me some of the best moments.  It has also brought me to my knees.

On my knees praying for patience, praying for guidance, praying for a break.  Just praying.
On my knees with sick babies waiting for the next round of illness to rock their sweet little body, while it rocked my heart just as much.  On my knees riding out the waves of fierce and startling adult like anger that comes with a frustrated child.  On my knees eye level with that angry and frustrated baby willing for the grace to use this moment to teach and not harm.  On my knees with budgets, bills, stress and worry.

On my knees rocking.
On my knees holding.
On my knees laughing.
On my knees pretending and exploring.
On my knees running my hand through that sweet head of hair while they tell me about their day.
On my knees reading stories in silly voices, while little babies shriek.
On my knees thanking God that I get to be their mother, thanking God that they're healthy.  Thanking God my biggest problems are someone else's blessings.

Motherhood has certainly brought me to my knees.

For you see, Momma did said there would be days like this. Hard, happy days.  Days where the tears are intermingled with giggles. 

And I'm on my knees right now living these messy, imperfect days. 

Love and light from another momma in the struggle. 

2 comments:

  1. I adore you and all of your posts!! You are such a talented writer, and an even more amazing mama! You inspire me, bring me down to earth, and make me realize I am not alone! Keep on writing!! I loooove it! 

    I suck at this blog thing! I have (had) a blog ironically and have no idea how to work this site! lol I want to follow you but don't know how!! lol big thumbs up from me to you!!

    ReplyDelete